In an attempt to bring an end to a student crisis that has loomed for almost 4 months
the Quebec Government passed a law today, the 18th of May 2012.
Critics accuse the government of being overly rash with severe laws that
oppress the right to freedom of expression with articles designed to punish
any association leader of anything that any of its membership can or will do without his knowing.
The law with its articles make demonstrations so complicated and difficult, the message is clear.
The government wants to give the students civil movement a one two punch.
And the fines are severe.
These articles , attached to this law, would be expected in another kind of country.
Not here in Canada. A very sad day to witness this.
As I watched the news today, I was ashamed of being a Quebecer. I am ashamed for not having rallied the entire population of Quebec to vote against the Liberal Party Of Quebec, when they ran for office in the last election. I was too busy to be bothered. I was too lazy to make an effort. Sound familiar?
It is one thing to be elected in power, but it is another thing to assume that "we can pass any law without meticulous consideration on how it will affect the people." In this situation the government did not feel it was important enough to merit the time and effort needed. I guess the government calculated the damage in next election and determined that the total number of students' votes lost was nothing to worry about.
But did the government calculate the immediate family, and friends. If you add it all up it could easily jump into the millions. I say, it was a terrible miscalculated decision. When people get elected, they get too comfortable, and assume the position gives them right to say and do anything...
As an elected member it is "his or her" responsability that the laws do not compromise the rights of those who put them in office. I have been accused of being an idealist for saying this; of being a dreamer; of not being a realist..but at one point a line has to be drawn, and you have to say "enough". I raise my hat to these brave students, fighting for their interests.....while the most of us..just bite the bullet when faced with another ridiculous increase in taxes bill.
Any elected official who believes that they can do what they want, and pass any law that they want, could end up facing a CRISIS similar to what the Charest government has had to deal with; or even worse, along with all the other public embarrassments and legal contradictions the courts and his government will encounter as the special articles of this new law will be challenged and overturned.
In the months that I watched this CRISIS unfold, I was impressed by a resourceful generation of very young people who displayed a determination to stand up for themselves, that few generations before them have done.
Sadly, the media does not recognize enough, that this minority, will one day become those making all the important decisions; and they have made themselves very clear, that they will not be manipulated, or intimidated into accepting any proposals that are unfair; especially if the laws are vague and border on the grey zone.
Some of my friends suggest that these young adults have been spoilt and that they are the ones who have been handed everything on a golden spoon. Funny that the same ones being accused of being "golden-spooned" are the ones fighting for their rights to an affordable education, while the rest of us, sit in our homes, drinking our favourite wines; shrugging it off; but then we wake up and wave our fists, when the demonstrations interupt our travel plans to our clients, to work, or back home or worst still the 19th hole.
We did not think it was important to go out in the streets when "so_and_so" would pass another hiking tax law, or another hike in other fees, etc etc; and instead of commending the ones with courage, we would prefer to take this entire student movement, and ship them to Alaska or a deserted island, on their days of protest, so that we will not be bothered. It's not our problem. It only becomes our problem when we are late for work. It becomes our problem when we realize they have something that we don't got.
And that's guts. And the other two things too.
It only becomes our concern when someone close to us gets arrested or even worse, gets hurt.
It becomes our right to be against the students if it helps us score political points with out boss or our friends and family; who think that the students are unreasonable.. Sound familiar?
There. I had my say. Maybe now I can sleep.
If you come across the Quebec Premier Mr Charest's Educational Minister; or the students' association reps, you tell them to get back in the chamber of chambers, to get as cumfy as possible, tell them that I told you to tell them to bring a few change of clothes; along with their toothbrush and personal accesories; because nobody leaves the chamber of chambers until the deal is hammered out. No "ifs, buts, or maybe's".
If they don't want to do it, they are all fired...if not now...surely later when they run @ re-lection time.
Quebec Student Strike Crisis 2012
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete